What is the Earth Hour? For those who don't know yet what is Earth Hour, this is based on my understanding, it is an event where concerned people all over the world switches off their electricity for just an one hour. At least for this length of time carbon emissions will be reduced and few more energy will be conserved.
Perhaps let us start this call within our family, relatives, and circle of friends. A single move can make a chain reaction. Let us move without the "if" and the "but". Let us save the planet at least in this simple way without any conditions.
My family have joined the call of Earth Hour since 2010 and we've done it without any condition because that's our personal intention. To help save the planet. I even encouraged my parents as well to the call without any conditions.
LET US ALL DO THE EARTH HOUR WHOLEHEARTEDLY WITH OUT THE CONDITIONS, besides MOTHER EARTH did gave us everything WITHOUT CONDITIONS.
Here's a brief history about Earth Hour
- Earth Hour started as an idea and it was initiated by one city in Sydney, Australia back in 2007 of March 31. 2.2 million people joined the one hour switched off and the result is that the one hour switched off is equivalent to removing 48,613 cars off in the roads of Sydney for one hour.
- Earth Hour started to be global movement in the year 2008, Philippines was the first South East Asian nation to join and pledge full support for Earth Hour. Total power saved was amount to 80MWh, an equivalent of shutting down a coal fired power plant for one hour.
- In 2009, Philippines became the top Earth Hour country with 647 town and cities that joined. 10 million Filipinos joined the one hour switched off and it save at least 611 megawatt of electricity, equivalent to a temporary shutdown of a dozen coal fired power plants.
- In 2010, Philippines got the title once more for having the top Earth Hour country, 1076 towns and cities participated.
- In 2011, 1661 cities and municipalities joined the Earth Hour and once more, the Philippines got the title for being the top Earth Hour country, and now called as the official Earth Hour Hero Country.
- Earth Hour grown to a 5251 strong global movement,reaching 1.8 billion people in 135 countries.
From 8:30pm to 9:30pm this coming 31 March, WWF-Philippines will again stage Earth Hour to inspire Filipinos to switch off their lights and dare their friends to save planet Earth.